Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Best Lesbian Erotica 2012: But Are There Vampires?

Yes.

*massive applause from the paranormal crowd*

Okay, well that's it for me. Have a great night, and try the lobster--it's to die for.

*perplexed crowd asks, "What the hell is Giselle talking about?"*

hehehe

I'm talking about Best Lesbian Erotica 2012 and, more specifically, about my story Blood Lust. Although, on second thought, before I start in on my contribution, can we just admire BLE 2012's kick-ass cover? I think it's g-g-g-gorgeous!
Alrighty, back to the issue of vampires. Now, when I think about "Best of" anthologies in general, I tend to assume everything I'm going to read in that book will be contemporary, mostly relatable fiction. Am I wrong there? For the most part, that's what you get, right? And that's good shit. Most of the erotica and queer fiction I write is contemporary, primarily urban, often based loosely on real life events. For the most part, that's what I do.

But there are exceptions to every rule.

When Oysters and Chocolate announced a paranormal story competition a while back, I figured what the hell, might as well enter! I wrote a "cutting edge" (haha--that was a pun) lesbian vampire knife play story called Blood Lust.

It won an honourable mention, which surprised me, considering I didn't consider myself anything of a paranormal writer. (Though, since then I have published a shapeshifter book called A Tale of Fur and Flesh) Maybe that was the appeal for the judges. My work is often called "quirky" and "different" (which I've decided to take as a compliment) so maybe that's the appeal of vampire fiction by a not-usually-vampire author.

I can't quite remember why I submitted Blood Lust to Best Lesbian Erotica 2012. Looking back objectively, when an author is limited to two submissions, it doesn't seem like the best idea. Sometimes it's hard even to get in my own head. All I can think is that Blood Lust was initially well-received, and when I read it over I thought, 'Holy Mother, this is some hot erotica! Yeah, baby, cut her back with that scalpel! Drink her blood! Yesssss!!!'

Maybe that's what I was thinking.

Not that my thought processes matter at this point. Blood Lust is hot, kinky, paranormal--and it's in the book, for your enjoyment. Hope you like it.

Hugs,
Giselle


No comments:

Post a Comment