Wednesday, December 1, 2010

NaNoWriNO: My Month of No Writing


November is the cruelest month.

Most authors, at least those who participate in National Novel Writing Month, will tell you they spend Novembers hidden away with nothing but an internet-less laptop to keep them company. Bread and water. No distractions. Must pump out that 50k.

Well, not me.

I didn't write at all this November. And, let me tell you, that's no mean feat for full-time professional author. Why didn't I write? Well...it relates back to my past life in the business world. I wouldn't go back to working full time for "the man" for any amount of money, but each November past clients and business contacts come sniffing around my door. "I've got this project..." "Can you take this on?" "Help!"

Here's the thing about autumn in the business world: it's the time of year everybody realizes they haven't spent every last time in their hefty budgets, and they know that if they don't spend it all by December 1st their budgets will be slashed for the following year. So, November becomes the month of make-work projects. Spend money fast. Doesn't matter what it's spent on. Just empty the coffers.

And that's when old business contacts come a-knockin' with contracts in hand. So, I think, hell, Christmas is coming, I've got an expensive girlfriend...why not?

In past years, I've tried to write while keeping up with these projects. This year I thought...screw it. I'll take the month off writing. So that's what I did.

All the while, story lines have been percolating. They're brewing in there. They're ready to be poured and served with donuts.

You know, many times I've claimed not to be a muse-driven author. I've claimed that writing is a profession like any other, though one I certainly enjoy more than any other career I've held onto by the coat-tails.

I think it's time to take that back. To take it ALL back. Because when I wasn't writing, I was thinking about writing. Constantly. When my mind was engaged in numbing business affairs, all I wanted to do was write...about sex or politics or sexual politics...about amusing adventures or unsettling horrors or the trials of everyday life...about myself and my girl and about you and the people you love. I just wanted to write.

And now November has come to an end, and I can write again. Hallelujah!

Giselle Renarde
Canada just got hotter!

Visit me online
http://donutsdesires.blogspot.com
http://www.GiselleRenarde.webs.com
http://twitter.com/GiselleRenarde

No comments:

Post a Comment