Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Quick Six Interview with R. ANN SIRACUSA

1. Hi Ann! Would you be so kind as to tell us what type of stories you write?

RAS: I write in several different genres, but currently I’ve been writing a humorous romantic suspense series featuring a tour guide and a Europol spy. I’m particularly comfortable in this first person voice.

My books tend to be long (90,000 words +), and since world travel is one of my passions, I set most of my novels in the exotic foreign lands that I’ve visited. The plots are complex and filled with action and adventure, culture and setting, and, of course, romance.

2. What are you reading right now?

RAS: I try to read books in the genre I’m writing at the moment. Right now, I’m reading Dick Francis’ “Even Money” and Katie MacAilaster’s “Corset Diaries.” If I could emulate any authors, dead or alive, I’d like to be a combination of Dick Francis and Katie MacAilaster, with a little Janet Evanovich thrown in (and maybe C.J.Cherryh…and, well, there’s lots of others). The highlight (so far) of my short career was when a reviewer compared my tour guide character (Harriet Ruby) to MacAlister’s Aisling Grey.

3. I hear music in the background…what’s playing?

RAS: I’m very eclectic when it comes to music. I like everything. You might be hearing The Brothers Four, Andrea Bocelli, opera, Red Peters, Neil Diamond, Kids Bop, Linkin Park, or Cold Play. What I listen to depends on the time, place, and mood. It also relates to what I’m writing, which grandchildren are in the house, or if my Italian husband is watching Italian TV.

4. Do you have a favourite naughty word?

RAS: Favourite? Not really. In speech, I use most of them regularly, even when I shouldn’t (a bad habit I’ve acquired since I retired). In my writing, it depends on the character and the type of book.

5. Is there a word or phrase that absolutely makes you cringe?

RAS: I’ve never really thought about it. I’m sure there are words and phrases I dislike when I read/hear them, and those I avoid when writing. Others I know I overuse to death. I don’t like the word “visitation” for some reason, and I’m not entralled with euphemisms like “his manhood.” A writer doesn’t have to be crude or offensive to use “real” words, but sometimes those get changed in the editing.

6. Be honest: What are you snacking on?

RAS: Gulp! Sputter! Unfortunately, everything that’s bad for me. Ice Cream is my favourite comfort food, and my downfall. My husband does all the cooking and shopping (bless his soul) so I munch on what he chooses to buy. (I have to bribe him into buying the ice cream.)

7. Anything to Promo?

RAS: Woot! Woot! Happy Dance! Sapphire Blue Publishing is releasing the second book of my tour guide/spy series in a few weeks, entitled “ALL FOR A FIST FULL OF ASHES.”

My first e-Book published by Sapphire Blue Publishing, “ALL FOR A DEAD MAN’S LEG,” came out March, 2009, and is the first of a four-book humorous romantic suspense series featuring a tour director, Harriet Ruby, and a Europol spy, Will Talbot. They meet while she is conducting her first solo tour in Spain and Morocco, and together they pursue great sex, a dead man’s secret, and international smugglers.

The second e-Book, entitled “ALL FOR A FIST FULL OF ASHES,” is being released at the end of October. Harriet and Will have been dating for a year, and come together in Italy where she is conducting a private tour for fourteen members of an Italian-American family. Will has one of the family members under surveillance as a suspect in an assassination conspiracy. Travel with them on their fast-paced romantic romp through Italy in pursuit of a lost grave, an assassin, and a healing and once-in-a-lifetime love.

Find out about me and my work at my website: http://www.rannsiracusa.com
You can also Google me (R. Ann Siracusa, R.A.Siracusa, Rose Ann Siracusa) or find me on Myspace, Facebook, FiledBy, LinkedIn, EPAN, Writers/Readers of Distinctive Fiction (but mostly as a “lurker” on all of them).

Thanks. It’s been fun meeting you.
Ann

Hahaha...Italian TV. I regularly fall asleep on the couch and wake up listening to the Italian news. Not that I mind. I usually get the gist of it, especially with the captions on. It helps me polish my long-forgotten skills from the single Italian course I took in University. ("Skills"? Wrong word. I was never that skillful a speaker of the language. I'm good with French and English. That's about it.)

“ALL FOR A FIST FULL OF ASHES” and “ALL FOR A DEAD MAN’S LEG” sound great! Thanks for telling us a bit about them. And thank you so much for the interview!

Cheers,
Giselle Renarde

No comments:

Post a Comment