Thursday, April 10, 2008

Yes, Annette, there is a Donut Warehouse!

Move over, Timmy. Annette is in town, and she’s got Raspberry Jelly-Filled donuts. In fact, she’s got more variety than you can shake your hockey stick at!

Who is Annette? Umm… I’m not sure, but she makes some damn fine donuts right here in Toronto. According to her website, http://annettesdonuts.com, Annette’s Donuts is a family-owned company that’s been in business for over 25 years.


The reason I’m writing about her is that, aside from making truly delicious donuts, she’s just opened a cash and carry at right at the factory location:

1965 Lawrence Avenue West, Toronto Ontario
(between Jane St and Weston Rd)


Now, friends, I LOVE factory outlets. I’m talking true factory outlets, where you buy goods straight off the line. That’s what you’re in for when you visit Annette’s. The donuts are the freshest of the fresh, I tell you.


The entrance to Annette’s cash and carry is a little clinical, I must say, but “clean” and “food” go well together, don’t you think? When you enter the little lobby, there’s a small wall of windows. On the other side of those windows sit every variety of donut you could dream of… unless you have some seriously bizarre donut dreams. Prices are on the windows, and these prices seem to include tax.


Alright, now you know what you want. If you’re me today, you want a package of 6 Bavarian Creams and a package of Annette’s signature Glazed Ring donuts. You tell the order-taking triage nurse what you would like (seriously, this place reminds me of a hospital) and you get your delicious donuts.


Let’s talk money. Are you getting a great deal at the cash and carry? Yes and no. I paid $2 for my 6 Bavarians. That seems like a great deal. I paid $1 for my 6 glazed rings. That’s a steal. However, you can get buy that same pack of 6 Annette’s glazed donuts for the same price at many No Frills supermarkets in the western part of the city.


So, is Annette’s worth the trip? GOD, YES!!! Why? Prices are low, selection was awesome even at 15 minutes before closing time, and these donuts are the freshest you can get. If you live in or around Toronto, hop on over to Annette’s. You won’t regret it. Unless you eat a 6-pack of Chocolate Crullers all in one sitting. You might regret that.